Monday 29 September 2014

The Name of the Wind

Over the weekend, between my long work hours and those spent doing homework I realized I hadn't written on my blog in a while.

I was thinking of a book to review but I was trying to answer the question: how do I possibly tell you what I enjoyed about a book without ruining the reading experience for you? My answer is I'll try my best to speak in generalities as opposed going into the plot. It will be difficult and in the end you might have to put your trust in my brief review without knowing as much of the story as you would like to. If you don't trust me enough to buy the book and start reading, go to a bookstore or amazon and read the first few pages. For this book that will be enough to hook you.
The fabled author himself

I have never read a book quite as magnificent as Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and its sequel The Wise Man's Fear (I am unpatiently waiting for the final day of the Kingkiller Chronicle to be released). It is a tremendous fantasy novel(s) and I have never read or felt such a connection with any other story in the genre. The story revolves around the maturing of a young man named Kvothe. It begins with his family in a travelling troupe of entertainers and the difficult road that leads him to his acceptance into the university where he is taught magic. (As close to Harry Potter as this might seem it is a very different tale, I can only tell so much without uncovering pivotal events). My review has not nearly exemplified the excellence of this book but I promise you its worth the read.

"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

My name is Kvothe.You may have heard of me."

 ~ The back cover of The Name of the Wind
                                   
I don't condone advertising for Amazon, I personally prefer a book store and the feel of a physical book in my hand when trying to find new stories to explore but Amazon's look inside feature gives you the prologue and the first few pages of the first chapter which should give you some idea of the feel of the book.


Here's the link, see for yourself 
http://www.amazon.com/The-Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle/dp/0756404746#reader_B0010SKUYM

No comments:

Post a Comment